I have wondered (see my post back on November 9, last year) whether MR. D J Trump’s ascendancy suggests some kind of time slip back into the 1930s and a failing Weimar republic; keep in mind the NSDAP’s use of hate and fear as political motivators for change.
Time for an update on lunatic temporal echoes.
- An executive order retracting US support for any non-government agency support for abortion; this one more-so down to right-for-lifer Vice President Mr. Pence , I am thinking.
- Another order banning movement of peoples (even if ‘vetted’ – and what an odious word that is ) into the US from seven proscribed Islamic nations. Legal challenges to that ban have been labelled (by the wonderfully eloquent Trump) as ‘bad’.
- The commencement of the wall he promised us; remember this: “I will build a great wall – and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me – and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.” Thanks to Marie Claire for this recollected gem.
- The dismantling of Obama Care; not too sure where we are with this yet.
- Trade agreements dismissed.
- Tax and other laws simply ignored.
- Climate change denied by government and the accord to abide by Paris agreements simply disregarded.
- Tweets too numerous but not luminous to mention; how can someone who is meant to be weighing the complexities of this ‘distracted globe’ carefully be satisfied with a maximum of 140 characters (and words of one syllable)?
- The selection of a bunch of primarily male, rich, Anglo Saxon entrenched conservatives to key posts in the administration.
- Threats to China, NATO and revealed contempt for (and ignorance of) diplomatic language and dealings with international allies and non-allies.
One can at least enjoy the humorous opportunities Trump is affording the world.